Shells

This photo was taken in my home in late 2020. It appears as if it was taken on the beach, but it was in my backyard. I used props like sand and real shells and pebbles to make it look realistic.


Shells by Bhargavi Gulia


Composition:
The first thing one sees when looking at this photograph is the enlarged shells to the right. The way to make something appear enlarged without editing the photo relies on perspective and camera angle. When taking this photo, I put the camera down low on the ground to be equivalent with the props. I also tilted my camera to the shell look closer to the camera, which makes it look bigger. To add depth to the photo, I created lines with the props directing the eye to the upper left. The shells' edge on the right form a line to the upper left. On the lower left, there is a triangle forming. The tip of this triangle connecting the pebble and the shell also aids the eye to the upper left.

Comments